We managed to pack in a ton of outdoor stuff on our trip to Andrews and the Great Smoky Mountains. We stayed at the Fernwood Cottage which was absolutely perfect and we would highly recommend it. Here’s a run down of what we did and links to more info:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Checked out the Road to Nowhere, Clingman’s Dome, and drove from end to end Cherokee to Gatlinburg.
- Mountain biking at Tsali: We biked the Left Loop and it was wet and muddy. Took the Overlook loop for the first time, well worth the extra mile or so.
- Shopping and waterfall watching in Highlands, NC.
- Trail running at Old River Road: 40-minute trail run down Old River Road parallelling the Nantahala River.
- Backpacking Wayah Bald to Cold Spring Gap: Short 6 mile trek Tuesday afternoon and back out Wednesday morning.
- Mountain biking at Hanging Dog: After an afternoon nap and recovery from backpacking in the morning, we hit Hanging Dog outside Murphy. Good amount of climbing but a fun trail.
- John C. Campbell Folk School: Took a look at this interesting folk school just outside Murphy.
Despite the jam packed schedule the trip really was relaxing and we even had time to go rafting (though luckily we decided against this, the river was VERY low). Awesome trip!